Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I'm back in the saddle and excited to be back on the trail. I checked in with the scales this morning and saw that I was down 2#. That was what I needed to see, to know that things can be reversed in a short period of time. I won't need that confirmation for awhile and will probably avoid them until the day of my next weigh-in.

I've always believed in the KISS method (keep it simple sheilah) but I think I lost sight of that when it came to trying to lose weight. It has always been fighting cravings, analyzing emotions, avoiding temptation, competing for the top spot and I found that I get lost in all of that. All it really takes is something as simple as a plan. A guideline, something to lead you in the right direction. It helps you stay on the right road and gets you where you want to go in the best timeframe.

I know for this to work I have to track my points by writing them down and preplanning my daily intake as much as I can so I can enjoy what I'm eating and have no regrets. I remember a time when that was so easy and become as second nature as breathing. It's hard to get in the habit at the start but it won't always be that way.

Last night Gary and I were met a classmate of ours that we haven't seen since we graduated in 1967. We weren't friends in high school but in my role as trying to bring our class closer together and promote our reunions that didn't matter. We had a great evening getting caught up with things that happened then and what was happening in our lives now. When I found out what restaurant we were going to, I immediately pulled up their website to see if they had their menu posted. They were a little pricey, so I decided what I would do was order one of their sandwiches that came with a side. I ended up getting the grilled chicken which I dismantled and put the bun on the bread plate that had been empty all night (no problem on passing on the bread ... I learned my lesson) and my side was a baked potato. The focus wasn't on the dinner, it was on the conversation and it was a great evening.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Hey Sheilah...nicely done!! Nothing like a 2 lb. loss to put a smile on your face!

I have to log everything I eat. I can't guess...I need to KNOW! So I set up an excel spreadsheet to count down 1,500 calories everyday. I know every single thing that I've put in my mouth since July 14th.

I don't plan on doing that for the rest of my life. Hopefully by the time I get where I want to be, I'll have a learned enough about choices and portions to live life without the spreadsheet. AND without the spread!!

Have a great day!