Monday, September 13, 2010

Another new week

Geez, for a weekend where we had nothing planned, it sure was busy. Our high school homecoming football game and after party on Friday, movie on Saturday and yesterday we spent the afternoon with Stephanie, Jim and the kids watching the Colts game. I fixed lunch beforehand and took into account that most of us were watching our diets. I had both regular hot dogs and fat free ones, along with regular buns and lite buns. I made my own coney sauce which only had one point per spoonful. I used the leanest beef I could find which was ground sirloin. I could have probably used ground turkey but I didn't want to affect the taste. I also had a wide variety of fruit that can be enjoyed the rest of the week.

At dinner last night Gary made a comment that was very true. He said you're really making a conscious effort to eat slower, aren't you?" Yep, he was right. It seems like I'm always the first one finished, no matter what I eat. I had always thought that was the case because I'm usually the one that listens and doesn't do much talking being the shy person I am but came to realize that I almost swallow things whole. Kim and I were talking last weekend and she mentioned the term "shoveler" and yep, that's me. So, like Gary said ... I was really going to make an effort to change my pattern of eating. I was going to start taking smaller bites, cutting my food into smaller pieces and chewing more. I have also learned to put down my fork every once and awhile and take a break ... if only for 15 - 20 seconds. Last night, it seemed like the food tasted better and I had the feeling full sensation before everything was gone on my plate. I need to keep up this conscious effort until it becomes another one of those good habits that will help me get to my goal.

Tonight is my weigh-in and I know I will be down several pounds from my last one two weeks ago when I had a pretty good gain. Part of me says I need to have at least a 5 1/2 pound loss to have a successful weigh-in ... getting the 3 1/2# off I had gained plus two more to keep the average of at least one pound a week. I really don't think that is going to happen and I shouldn't be playing the numbers game. I thought I was over it, but it keeps creeping back. That inner being that I want to become is telling me to be happy with whatever loss is recorded and continue to do all I can do to reach my goal. Don't stop thinking about tomorrow!!!!!

3 comments:

NAN said...

I was a good girl today too haha- drove 200 miles but got a lot accomplished and had water and lunch packed. It was 93 so not much walking outside though. As for shoveling, oh yeah...we sibs all have loud voices too. I'm the oldest of 6 and surprisingly we all get along (youngest died at age 19) so just 5 of us now.

TinaM said...

That's good you're eating slower, I've been trying to do that too. It really does help! Good job on only having the little bit of popcorn too.

Good luck on the weigh in! A loss is a loss, and you have to be proud of it no matter how much!!! You're doing a good job :)

Tammy said...

The trick is one day at a time girl....one 24 hour time period. I've always known this...but I lose my way sometimes. You don't have to set a # of lbs you want to lose in a month....it works for me, but not for everyone. But one day at a time....that works for EVERYONE. :)