Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'd like to propose a toast

After Zumba on Tuesday I was spent. I figured it was just the exercise. Gary had dinner pretty much ready when I got home from class and I just sat on the couch after eating. While watching TV, I fell asleep and this is something I rarely do. It took all my strength to climb the stairs to go to bed.

Yesterday I woke up and was dragging. I'll attest to not being a morning person but still at 10:30 I didn't know if I was going to make it through the day without a nap. In my typical fashion, I wondered why ... there always has to be a reason with me.

I thought about dehydration and looked it up on the web. The first symptom of moderate hydration was feeling light headed. Mmmm, maybe that explains last Friday after my workout at the gym. I don't take water with me and I just took a couple of swigs at the water fountain before I left. I felt the light headedness at Zumba too. I did have water with me then but still had a half bottle on my ride home. Fatigue was the next symptom and well that's exactly what I was feeling right now, so WAKE UP CALL. Next, hunger and cravings. So that's why I had planned to ditch my planned lunch in the office and head to my favorite hot dog establishment. The last two didn't slap me in the face as much as the first three. They were water retention and constipation. Since I hadn't been on the scale since my weigh-in on Monday I didn't know if I was up on the scales but I didn't have any obvious swelling.

Thinking back, Monday is a day where I really down the water hoping it will help me lose at the scales. Being in a controlled environment behind my desk I'm more conscious with the glass sitting in front of me. But, I didn't work this past Monday and also didn't do well over the weekend because I was on the go. I've gotten out of the habit and I think I'm paying for it. Once I got the news flash I immediately filled up my glass and after about three of them was starting to feel a little perky. Coincidence ... mmmm, maybe, but I know now that I'm going to keep at it because of what I've learned about the benefits of staying hydrated. So as I raise this glass ... good health to all!

No comments: