Monday, July 19, 2010

The Ride

It was another four-course breakfast yesterday morning at the Bed and Breakfast, but I wasn’t tempted as much with the veggie omelet. Go figure with something healthy, huh? I ate a couple of bites of the popover, just to have a taste and most of the tropical fruit. I even told our hostess that we only needed one of the breakfast desserts. Is it getting easier? Yes, I think it is.

We attended mass at the Basilica at Holy Hill which is a National Shrine. It is suppose to be a place of healing, so I prayed to be able to overcome my addiction to overeating. Maybe I need to do more of that … both when I’m struggling and those times of giving thanks for the days that I feel that I’m finally getting the hang of it. With God all things are possible.

We checked out and headed for our next B&B in Algoma which is close to Door County. I think there’s a saying of “sit back and enjoy the ride” …. ha – not when we’re on strange roads and the GPS isn’t cooperating. Talk about emotions … frustration, anger, impatience, stubbornness, disappointment and that was just Gary’s take on the whole situation. Well emotions rub off on others, so it’s important to focus and realize it’s not the person, it’s the situation and what could have easily snowballed into ordering emotionally when we finally stopped for lunch turned out to calmly choosing wisely.

We finally got to the Bed and Breakfast 90 minutes later than scheduled but it really didn’t matter as we had no plans for the evening anyway. So basically we were in such this big hurry to do nothing. Hmmmm, what’s wrong with the picture. Why do we tend to blow things out of proportion when it really doesn’t matter? Is it just to prove something to ourselves?

We checked in and then went to a grocery store that was close by, as I wanted to get some fruit to keep in the room for snacking. We got some apple, grapes, bananas and a package of 100 calorie popcorn.

We can see Lake Michigan from our room and it’s very serene. When negative emotions start to well up, a good diversion would be just to look out over the lake. It a natural tranquilizer and brings the peace back to continue along the journey. At least maybe I CAN enjoy THIS ride of eating more wisely because when I get to my destination, I’ll be healthy and happy to enjoy all there is to do.

No comments: