Friday, February 25, 2011

HAVE I ARRIVED?

One step at a time, one day at a time, one victory at a time. I think I just might be there. Yesterday started off like most other days. Got up, showered, got dressed, headed downstairs for my usual Honey Bunches of Oats breakfast, checked Facebook, grabbed my Smart Ones dinner out of the freezer and I was out the door still half asleep. Did I mentioned I'm not a morning person..

Mid-morning my boss brought me a document that needed to be delivered to our attorney's office at noon and said I'll buy lunch at Paradise Cafe while you're out. My typical lunch there is 1/2 sandwich and cup of soup. It fits into my plan well. However, Paradise always includes a cookie (at no charge) in with their orders. I know this and the last few times I've been there, I've succumbed to this freebie. I knew I was going to the gym last night and I knew that I have been better with my eating. The voices started again with reasoning as well as misguided information. As I was sitting at my desk eating lunch, I thought I'd check some blogs. This seems to be a tough time of year for a lot of people. I read how others are fighting off the demons and so many bloggers pulled in so many directions. There are snacking temptations, schedule issues, just the old winter weather blues syndrome. Motivation, dedication, commitment, do I or don't I, you name it.

Somehow, some way ... it made me think and I ended up taking the two cookies to the breakroom. After I did that and returned to my desk, I really questioned my sanity ... how could I do that. Those cookies are sooooo good. I then realized that maybe I'm over the hump and that I've got a chance for success, for something to build on.

As I mentioned, Thursday is one of my scheduled training days for the gym for my C25K training. I was moving into week 3 and I thought that I'd run on the track instead of the treadmill. Well, that didn't work. I don't know if I started out too quick and burned myself out or what but I just couldn't do the second run. Did I quit ... give it all up? No, I just went back to the treadmill and did the program on it. I got in a little more exercise and didn't feel defeated. I'll try to build up my endurance a little more and try the track again later .... starting out slower.

The chili was on the stove when we got home from the gym. It smelled heavenly and I was hungry. For some reason, after I had taken several bites, I was already thinking about the second bowl ... what's up with that? I didn't care if I would be full or not, there was a second bowl of chili in my future. Then I did some more thinking. That's not how I lost weight. I lost almost 30 pounds last year by limiting myself to one serving. Yes, the food was good but I decided one bowl was enough. I'd get to eat again at my next meal. Another victory.

I can't tell you how great I feel this morning. I even got on the scale in the midst of my normal morning routine and although I was half asleep, I saw what I needed to see and I was happy.

No comments: