Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Quit Saying You Will .... AND do it!

You've heard the expression about ... or get off the pot. I have been so wishy washy with my plan the last six weeks or so. I can point out that it's the holiday season, things can get busy and stressful but the truth of the matter is that I've been using LIFE and all that goes on in it at certain periods as an excuse to procrastinate and lose sense of priorities. I didn't get to the point of losing over 25 pounds with that type of thinking. I lost that weight by planning and doing . . . not wishing and hoping.

I want my groove back and while it's hard, I know it will only take a week or two of positive enforcement on my part to gain that once iron clad confidence I had back in September when I had my best weight loss month in the year. If I can get my act together now, the new year will take care of itself as I always go into a new year with fervor.

It has been so easy to say I'll start tomorrow. I've had years of that type of thinking and if I continue on my present course, I can have as many putting off until tomorrows as I want in the days ahead. But that's not what I want. I've always been the person who wanted instant results ... so, if I want instant results why don't I want to start NOW and keep doing what I need to be doing, then I'll see those results a lot quicker.

I can't let this destructive behavior become a way of life. I don't deserve the extra pounds any more than I deserve the overabundance of food I've consumed or the lack luster attitude that has developed from my choices lately but that's what I'll get.

It's only because of some habits I had formed over the past year that has saved me from going totally over the edge but you know what they say about giving an inch ... It has to stop and for me today was going to be the day.

I had a planned breakfast and I knew I had my "Smart Ones" lunch in the freezer at work. This is how I got started with my plan over a year ago and then again after falling off the wagon last spring, this plan helped me get back in rhythm in May when I found blogging. Not too many calories during the first part of the day, having a normal dinner and maybe a light treat in the evening, I was on plan and felt it was just a normal way of life, making good choices. I never felt deprived and it never stopped me for hanging out with anyone.

Oh, but then the lunchhour rolled around and I knew I wanted to go to the mall to pick up a few things. What's wrong with eating out? Mmmmm, chili sounds good since it's so cold out. Voices in my head going at it ... who was going to win. I had to take a stand. I had to start over and that meant frozen dinner. No, it's not as appetizing, but it's okay and dinner is the meal I look forward to on this plan. The other meals are just to sustain me and that hasn't bothered me in the past and looking deep in my heart and soul, it doesn't bother me now because of what I'll see and feel and hear and experience when the pounds start coming on again.

Once day at a time, one step at a time, one pound at a time. So far today I have found success. Got a feeling we'll be having chili for dinner tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

good for you to choose your planned lunch! I know that's not easy when faced with temptation.. but you did it! yay!

Ann (-50 lbs in -60 lb challenge) said...

FANTASTIC, Sheilah! Those little talks we give ourselves, bringing us back from the edge, are in a class all by themselves! I love that you were able to do this earlier today. THAT is how it is done - one (sometimes very hard) choice at a time!!

My duldrums hit about now (holiday time) and usually again around March-April. It is tough to go through, but we ALL do, at one time or another. I know myself well, just as you know yourself, and we have to work hard to keep ourselves from destroying all the good efforts. I've done that in the past, and it got me (eventually) up to almost 330 lbs. NOT good.

Keep up the excellent self-talk. Once you get back into the groove, it'll become easier again. You can do this!!

NAN said...

She's back! I like your attitude.