Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Nuts!

I appreciate the kudos yesterday from Gertie, Ann and Nan but I slipped up in the evening with nuts and not using a proper measuring device. Let me tell you, your hand is not what you should be measuring with. The annoying little voice in my head kept saying "it's protein, it's protein" but I know too much of a good thing isn't good. I also kept hearing Stephanie words "Get rid of the nuts". They're from the party we had on Saturday and I spent too much to toss them, so I need to work on my discipline.

When overeating like this happens it makes me think about all the posts I read about food addiction and binging and I really don't think that's my problem. Addiction would mean if I didn't have it ... I would go out and get it no matter what. I would wake up in the middle of the night and tear into the cabinets. No, I don't think I'm addicted to food. I think I just have an addictive behavior that I need to work on. Much like a two year old throwing a fit when they don't get what they want. I've also never sat down and emptied an entire container of anything unless it was a snacksize package but no large tubs of ice cream, or family size bag of chips. There were still nuts left last night so I don't think I was binging, my behavior was just whacked up.

I will start working on my behavior and not food in particular and see what happens from there. I know I'm making this much harder than it needs to be, but it just what you deal with at the starting over process.

4 comments:

NAN said...

I'm like you and don't binge- I might open the freezer and have a couple of cookies but I'd never eat the whole bag of them. As for the nuts, I am not buying any more either. I like the Emerald brand in the green container and I USUALLY eat a caps worth at a time but I have been overindulging and should be eating some fruit. Even when I was a child, I never was a fruit eater- maybe an occasional apple, banana or strawberry shortcake when our garden produced some berries. So eating more fruit should be on my New Years resolution list too!

Jacqui said...

I think working on your behavior over working the food is a great idea!

I know I sometimes don't want to measure/weigh food.. but I'm not at a point where I can guesstimate my portions accurately.. so I still have to do that. :)

Michael Prager said...

I must disagree, Mensa, on your view of addiction. I am a food addict, through and through, and just because I have a food thought does NOT mean that I follow through with it. I have lots of other ways to deal with the urge, which I know — through extensive "experimentation" will not end well.

I do "weasure," which I once viewed as slavery and now view as a healthy discipline with actual, real benefit. It *could* be self-hypnosis, or cultish, or whatever, but I eventually realized I'd rather do something that worked, rather than mock it for its potential flaws.

And, I don't keep nuts in the house. I don't say, at all, that they're bad. I only say that they don't work for me. Same for popcorn. In both cases, they have not made enough to satisfy me, so I just never start. I have other trigger foods I avoid, too.

My best to you.

mensa said...

Michael, I'm a little confused. I do believe some people are food addicts, it doesn't matter what the food is ... they just have to be eating a majority of the time or in large amounts. I am not like that and that would only be an excuse for me to say I was. Just as from alcohol and drugs there can be recovery and I think that is mainly through understanding emotions and through discipline. Can you be a little more specific where you think I missed the boat? Can there be a fine line on the definition?